Friday, March 30, 2007

Wellbutrin XL: Some Benefits So Far

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a little over two weeks now, and I've been feeling much better. While taking the Strattera, I was quite angry and nervous a lot of the time, and my blood pressure was high. Lately I've been feeling really good-- relaxed and more confident, and my blood pressure is at a more normal level. However, I am aware that it is difficult to say how much this has to do with the medication exactly.

Interestingly, I've read anecdotal accounts online of people who felt the way I did taking Strattera when they were taking Wellbutrin. Both drugs act on the dopamine pathway, so I'm guessing there might be a connection. I think that the Wellbutrin XL, since it is extended-release, might not have this "angering" effect-- that is, since the drug is released from the capsule very gradually, your system is dealing with just a little at any one time. It could also help that I'm taking a somewhat low dose. Another, perhaps even more likely, possibility is just that different medications affect different people differently, and some trial-and-error is unavoidable. I think there is a lot of research going on about Wellbutrin and ADD, and it would be good to have more scientific information. (Please, again, see my disclaimer about how you should see a doctor for any health problem. Don't rely on the Internet, including this site!)

As far as the treatment of my ADD goes, it is a little hard to say at this early point if the Wellbutrin XL has helped. I've noticed that I've spaced out more, but I can't yet say if I've been noticing it more or it has been happening more. I think that I am becoming better aware when I lose track, and it is going to take some mental exercise to utilize that improved awareness. My doctor and I are still early on with figuring out what medications would work best for me, but I continue to do the best I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Johnny...

I was thinking of asking to go back on wellbutrin for my ADD once I got back to medical school from my leave of absence, but I forgot all about the spaciness. The only real benefits i got off wellbutrin was a reduction in compulsivity (less eating, less distractibility).

Try Vyvanse. The right dose should help with both the distractability and compulsivity components. And try some relaxing study music to keep down the anxiety, which can make you compulsive (web surfing). It will give you that "stimulus-stimulus-stimulus" you need...